pgOle without MS SQL Server

Using PGNP with MS SQL Server, Data Transformation Services (DTS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Linked Servers, Snapshot and Transactional Replication and more.

pgOle without MS SQL Server

Postby lifeboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:31 am

I have a need to run SSMS, connect to a Postgresql server but without having a SQL Server database. Can this be done and how?
lifeboy

Re: pgOle without MS SQL Server

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 am

Yes, it is possible. You will need to configure Linked Server in SSMS as described in the Developer Manual http://www.pgoledb.com/index.php?option ... wnload&cid[0]=3&Itemid=68.
Site Admin

Postby lifeboy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:24 am

I have a linked server set, but I still have to connect to a MSSQL Server first in SSMS before I can refer to the linked server tables. If I want to the SSMS, but not with a SQL Server at all, how to I connect to a Postgres server using PGNP? At this stage we are still using MSSQL Server but only for the purpose of migrating to Postgres. Once complete, we want to kill the MS SQL Server and only use Postgres, but keep on using SSMS with PGNP. How can we do that?

Similarly, if we and to connect to a Postgres Server using MS Access, but without using ODBC, can we use PGNP for that and again how do we do that?
lifeboy

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Actually, I have realized that the linked server is working in context of a SQL Server process. It means that SSMS has to connect to a SQL Server to get access to a Postgres linked server.

I'm curious why not use PGAdmin, or a third party utilities like Navicat/ADO Query Tool.

I do not know how to import data into MSAccess via an OLEDB.
Site Admin

Postby lifeboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:07 am

Using PGAdmin III is fine for administrating the database, but not for end-users having to generate queries beyond simple SELECT queries using a graphic query editor. There is not one single tool on the market that can do what MS Access does when it comes to generating a query using a graphic query editor. Toad comes close, but it's at least 5 times more expensive than Access and much more complex to use. I have personally evaluated every tool I could lay me hands on. This is why I'm here hoping that the PGNP is the solution.

I'm trying to motivate my client to sponsor the additional development of PG Admin III to include UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE as well as nested queries and also the ability to save the layout of a graphic query and load the query back into the editor at a later stage (using an XQL file like Aqua Data Studio does. If they don't want to go that route, it looks like I'm busted.

Is there any possibility to extend the PGNP provider to work without needing a SQL Server? It would be really fantastic if one could connect to a SQL Server "dummy" server, which is actually a Postgres server exposed to SSMS via PGNP. Or some other method.
lifeboy

Postby admin » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:51 am

Using SSMS for connecting to Postgres is an interesting idea. However, I believe it requires research and development beyond current scope of PGNP project.
admin

Return to SQL Server/DTS/SSIS/Linked servers/Replication