Not able to create a linked server connection or dsn connect

Using PGNP with MS SQL Server, Data Transformation Services (DTS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Linked Servers, Snapshot and Transactional Replication and more.

Not able to create a linked server connection or dsn connect

Postby isonali » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:06 pm

We recently purchased a license of PGOLEDB driver PGNP 1.4.0.3106 to be able to create a linked server connection of postgres db on sql 2008 r2 enterprise edition.

I have followed the steps you mentioned in the forum but am getting below error.. Snapshot of the error attached.

"Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "PG_Samples"
and the other error message is in the snapshot.

Also not able to see the driver while i try to create a dsn connection..

Please help..
Thanks
Attachments
postgres_error.jpg
postgres_error.jpg (219.19 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
isonali

Re: Not able to create a linked server connection or dsn con

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Please check that the Postgres server is configured to accept remote connections (pg_hba.config). Ensure that a firewall does not block the connection. Try to use IP address of the database server.

I also recommend testing connection via UDL. It allows narrowing down various possible reasons. Also, please launch PGNP Profiler, start the trace, and see if additional information is available during the linked server creation.

Refer to Developer's Manual for more details (available as download from this web site).

HTH
Site Admin

Return to SQL Server/DTS/SSIS/Linked servers/Replication