The PGNP provider is a thin layer between Microsoft ADO and PostgreSQL database. It implements most of the OLEDB interfaces and uses libpq to access a PostgreSQL database. The provider can be used from 32-bit and 64-bit applications both native and .NET.
Main features are:
- High performance in all OLTP and OLAP scenarios.
- Full support for SSRS, SSAS and SSIS in SQL Server 2005-2022.
- OS Platforms: Windows XP, Windows Servers 2003-2022, Windows Vista, Windows 7-11.
- SQL Server Linked Servers and Replication support.
- Error reporting and execution tracing.
- Transactions support: standard OLEDB, and "nested" PostgreSQL transaction using savepoints.
- Distributed transactions, two phase commit protocol.
- Schema support for tables, views, provider types, columns, primary/foreign keys, indexes, etc.
October 15, 2023 Ver 22.214.171.12408 (beta)
Federated Authentication (SSO) supported.
Multiple internal components optimized, new C++20 features used, Visual Studio 2022 compiler is used for all components.
Various enhancements: obtaining connection string parameters from Registry, tracking product status via tray application, etc.
Subscription model enabled.
Defects known in previous version of Product fixed.
August 12, 2023 Ver 126.96.36.19998
Added support for custom user impersonation (to address issue in Kerberos+SSAS2019).
Fixed bug in parsing concat expression in LIKE operator, e.g.: ... LIKE t.col||'%'
Fixed bug in handling queries with CASE-WHEN-THEN(SUBQUERY) clause.
Fix for a bug in SSPI login (current user name was not processed correctly in some scenarios).
|FEATURE||PGNP 1.3.0||PGNP 1.4.0*||PGNP 1.5.0*|
|PostgreSQL Support||8.x, 9.x||9.x-15.x||9.x-latest|
|OLE DB Connection Pooling||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|OLE DB Error Reporting||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|OLE DB Command Prepare and Cancel||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|OLE DB Columns Information||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Database Transformation in SQL Server DTSWizard||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Local Transaction Support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Distributed Transactions and Two Phase Commit Protocol (DTC enlistment)||No||Yes**||Yes**|
|SQL Server 2005-2019 Linked Servers Support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SQL Server 2005-2019 to PostgreSQL Replication Support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
The new major version of the PGNP OLEDB Provider for PostgreSQL, Greenplum and Redshift has several new features and improvements:
- IDP/SSO Login support for Redshift.
- 64-bit Profiler for unlimited tracing.
- Subscriptions support.
The PGNP v1.5 (beta) evaluation modules and documentation is provided to approved Beta Testers only. The v1.4 evaluation is available on the Download page.
See also: What's new in 1.4?